You won't find this anywhere else on the globe: Day Hike + Relaxing Backcountry Float aka "The Hike + Float".
Hike to, then relax and float on a pristine alpine lake in packrafts while your guide prepares lunch, and tea/coffee.
Pack It In
Pack a 5 lb packraft into an ultralight backpack and carry it up to a pristine alpine lake to float for a few hours.
Float In Peace
Locations are only accessible by foot and a packraft is the only watercraft portable enough to bring it up to an alpine lake. You get the lake to yourselves!
Deer, Moose, Marmots, Bears, and Birds of all kinds live in the Bitterroot.
While animal encounters are exciting and welcome, the chance of occurrence is random.
Use Our Gear
We supply the packs, bear spray, safety gear, and trekking poles too.
You should still prepare by dressing appropriately for the forecasted weather, and pack a few other things as outlined on our "What to Bring" page.
Eat our Food
Lunch is served on all hike + float trips!
Snacks/tea/coffee are provided too.
We're Dog Friendly
The Bitterroot National Forrest allows dogs!
Dogs are welcome with prior notice.
Leave No Trace
Learn how to Leave No Trace and practice while you hike!
Already familiar with LNT? Even better!
Identify Plants + Wildlife
Learn about Montana's and the Bitterroot's unique climates while you identify plants and animals as you hike.
The Full Breakdown:
Day Hike + Relaxing Float
Included with each ticket:
- An Expert Guide (Luke Hayduk)
- Backpack Rental
- Trekking Pole Rental
- Packrafting Gear for each Adult:
- Lunch - See Booking Form
- Snacks / Tea / Coffee
- Guides are Wilderness First Aid Certified, Leave No Trace Certified, and Food-Handler Certified.
- Guides are vaccinated and boosted with Covid-19 vaccinations.
- Guide carries packrafting gear for the first two adult tickets booked on each trip, first aid, Garmin gps communicator, water filtration, and other necessities.
- Group and Private tour options available.
How to book:
1. Scroll to the top of the page and click the 'Hike + Float Booking Calendar' button.
2. Scroll through the calendar to find your desired date. Book your trip on said date.
2b. If you book a private tour, you can choose other locations for the hike and float. Your guide will contact you via email with the available options.
3. Keep an eye out for additional emails about trail closures, wildfire danger and weather-related information as your hike approaches.
4. If you need to cancel, all bookings are refundable within 4 hrs after making the booking. Trips are not refundable within 72 hrs of the start time, unless booked and cancelled within the initial 4 hr period. New trips cannot be booked within 12 hrs of a start time, but more participants can be added if a trip is already scheduled to run.