Our Bread and Butter: Backpacking
Plan and embark on an adventurous backpacking trip in Montana's backcountry with an expert guide. Spend one or more peaceful night(s) out under the stars, explore untouched parts of the wilderness, and see amazing sights.
3 - 6 Day Trips
Mild to challenging trips for all skill levels.
Choose your trek into the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness!
Get Out There
Carrying gear on your back, trek into backcountry and set up camp each night, or set up a base camp to stay in one place multiple nights.
Peace and Solitude
Tired of the crowds in National Parks?
Backpack on routes that nobody will find with a Google search. Travel a trail less traveled!
Moose, deer, marmot, grizzlies, wolves and mountain lions all may be seen!
Use Our Gear
We supply gear on every trip! Check out one of our Big Agnes Tents, or maybe a Six Moon Designs tent?
See a full gear list here.
Eat Our Food
All meals are included on backpacking trips.
Snacks/tea/coffee are always included too.
We're Dog Friendly
The Bitterroot National Forrest allows dogs!
Dogs are welcome with prior notice.
Leave No Trace
Learn how to Leave No Trace and practice while you hike!
Already familiar with LNT? Even better!
The Full Breakdown:
Included in each ticket:
- An Expert Guide (Luke Hayduk)
- All of the backpacking gear is provided. *note this does not include clothing.
- Guide carries first aid, Garmin gps communicator, water filtration, map + compass, and food.
- Packrafting can be included in backpacking trips for an additional cost.
- Food. View our menu here.
- Snacks / Tea / Coffee
- Wildlife is common, but not always seen on outings. We love when it happens!
- Guides are Wilderness First Aid Certified, Leave No Trace Certified, and Food-Handler Certified.
- Guides are vaccinated and boosted with Covid-19 vaccinations.
- Group and Private tour options available.
How to Book:
1. Scroll to the top of the page and click the '2023 Backpacking Trip Schedule' button.
2. Scroll through the schedule to find your desired trip. Read about the trip in the 'Trip Preview Links'. Book your trip on said date.
2b. If you book a private tour, you can choose other locations for backpacking trip. Your guide will contact you via email with the available options.
3. Bitterroot Backpacking will send an email on how to prepare for your trip, including a virtual meeting invite for a trip planning meeting 3-4 weeks before the trip.
4. Attend the virtual meeting for breifing on trip logistics and how to pack for the trip.
5. Keep an eye out for additional emails about trail closures, wildfire danger and weather-related information as your hike approaches.
6. If you need to cancel, all backpacking trips are refundable up to 14 days before the start of the trip.